3. April 2012 13:00

*Click, click, click, splat, shower of loot*

by richard

Lather rinse repeat.  As a gameplay formula it doesn't sound all that enticing when you write it like that but that's to entirely miss the point.  I'm of course talking about Diablo III, the forthcoming latest version in the venerable series which exhibits all the compulsive tendencies that you remember.  It's been a while since I last played Diablo II (ooooh, about a decade) but there have been plenty of games in the meantime which embodied the same action RPG, loot-'em-up style to tide us over.  Everything from Titan Quest, to last year's Bastion owe more than a small amount of debt to the original Diablo - even Borderlands, which might seem to be a different game thanks to its FPS styling, had that same enticing gameplay mechanic of killing hordes of monsters and then collecting the loot which was left behind: every click of the mouse leading you on to what could be a new weapon or piece of armour which is better than the one you currently have.

Having been lucky enough to get a beta key for Diablo III recently I was intrigued to see if Blizzard had retained that same compulsive gameplay magic; I fired it up, thinking I'd spend half an hour just getting into it.  6 hours later my conclusion would have to be: yes, it's got all the magic and more that I remember from the first two games in the series.  To put it another way May 15th can't come soon enough, but for those of you lucky enough to be on the beta, I've put together a profile for all R.A.T. and M.M.O.7 owners and added it to the RPG Profile Pack on the downloads page.  Keep on clicking/looting!

Comments

5/12/2012 5:28:29 AM #

Are you guys going to make a Saitek Cyborg mechanical keyboard? That would be the greatest keyboard ever, put some cherry mx brown in it, keep it sturdy built like the V.7, keep the backlighting customization you have on the v.7 or have the keyboard with multiple colors controlled by software (like the g510). Add some macro keys, braided cables, usb hub (pass-through), and don't make it as big as the v.7. Don't forget to keep  adjustable feet etc. Just do eet! Jump in the mechanical bandwagon like Corsair, CoolerMaster, and tons of other businesses, do it before it's too late!

Lolley Canada | Reply

5/18/2012 9:37:29 PM #

I always thought the microsoft sidewinder x6 was the visual perfect compliment to the RAT's sexy stealth hexa angular vibe and surface matt quality. I suppose the cyborg v5 comes close but feels cheap and does not have the mech cred either. Even without mech everytime I try out a mech board I always come running back to my sidewinder x6 which can not be beat for it's cool low profile keys, superior macro options and program customizations. But namely it just looks the best.
Now that Azio makes a mech clone of the sidewinder u would think the game was over but they choose an immature industrial look instead and they have no led version! Now that microsoft is not making the x6 anymore I am guessing the switchable numpad design is up for licensing which would explain the azio clone? I wish Saitek would take up the mantle and do this design right! with LED mech keys ( brighter red than the x6 would be appreciated for us 3d enthusiasts with aging eyes ) Razer manages mech keys with cool rubberized low profile.. as much would be cherry!
The removable switchable numpad wins because of the mouse real estate saved! but the Azio gets rid of the cool magnetic "clic" that was effortless on the x6! ( though with the azio's lock down method allowed for adjustable angle... given a choice I would easily choose the magnet option wich was just super elegant and create my own adjustable base.

that and a pressure sensitive RAT so I could throw my wacom away for my RAT's superior comfort! Also more buttons for us wireless fans! And a light or white quality mat ( alternatively pressure sensitive instead? like the microsoft unmouse demo? ) so I do not have to infect my setup with Razer ( scarab --> nice mat ) any longer. And I would have the Dream Cyborg trinity! ( perhaps the cyborg lights as a cherry would be nice! )

( all ideas belong to saitek/cyborg! just wake me up when it's done! If useful I suppose I would not turn down the cyborg gaming light gratis Smile    !)

claydough United States | Reply

5/21/2012 3:24:29 AM #

The whole industry is in denial of the RAT 9's obvious overwhelming dominance in it's inspired design and sensual appealing superior tactile materials. ( speaking of tactile feel... the quality of R.A.T button switch response does need to be seriously amped up by a huge amount to escape the trappings of a toyified experience. The first designers with the balls and vision to research finely machined Robotic clicks of sensuality will win the endgame )
Instead every mouse design tries to ignore the R.A.T even exists ( as if the R.A.T was weights and the Aim button alone ) And design the same round puck over an over again as if the revolution has not started?  Smile

On the other hand...

It looks like the vacation is over!
Though I still feel there is no competition from the thermaltake camp compared to the superiority of the R.A.T 9.
But it looks like BMW has finally at least made the correct response and showed the proper respect in an inspired design that is at least in the same leaugue as the R.A.T? ( mebbe the industry needs more german engineers to get a real competitive race going. On thier knees to perhaps Porshe designers next? Wink  )
Even if BMW's Level 10 mouse is far from a customiztion wet dream like the R.A.T...
if paying close attention to detail it is easy to admire how BMW suceeded in getting the right blend of quality materials in "their" take on the cool soft aluminum metal sled. A rich machined metal motif carried thru to the thick rounded aluminum column cast! The hollow body is shown off nicely through hexa-channel grate ( the hexagon is easily the angular backbone of all exciting design for the 21rst century! )that otherwise rounded top "sled" body shell has a beautiful leathery soft dirty black mat/tire rubber vibe that is accented nicely with a chunky aluminum racing stripe running thru its center.

From the the dim fiery red LED glow emmanating from the hexa angular grate's inner depths...
that lighting helps to futher sell the "hollow vibe", that up until now was practically a R.A.T monopoly!

assets.vr-zone.net/15220/level10m_4.jpg

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JcExTfWJ1E&hd=1

technabob.com/.../...ake_level_10_mouse_bottom.jpg

Looking at sexy design like this, I am confident Saitek/Crborg will easily up the Ante in design and materials ( really hoping there might be levels of sensitivity magnitudes greater for button/switch fidelity as well )

But the original question to which I would like to support as well???
Where is the keyboard beef? v5? v7 eclipse II III?? could we please throw yesterdays legacy in the toilet by now? The mech kids on the playground r teasing me on my way to the bus every morning! But just adding the mechanical cherry on the cake is not going to "cut it". In the face of competition and obvious examples of talented design ready to rise to the occasion as the Exploding PC enthusiast/performance market is poised to take in $23 billion by 2015! ( Jon Pedie Research ).
Looking at the RAZER SWTOR keyboard for $250 as a whole and it does not look like a motif that is tied together in any thought out successful way.
But that is easily forgiven when the incredible materials  and designs of it's parts is far more advanced than any keyboard I have witnessed.
( where the optimus is only a one OLED trick pony as far as I can see. nice pony none the less )
I am easily willing to forfiet a dittohead lenning feature like cherry switches given the sweet low profile keys with Razers gorgeous tactile materials and the inspired gold graphics are truly representative of some next gen design work. Yet knowing the quality desigh that I enjoy dailey from my RAT 9. That RAT 9 KEYBOARD would easily represent more quality than Razers overall tacky SWTOR design? If Razer is still charging $250 next year I suppose I will have to pay that price. In which case I imagine the quality that would represent a R.A.T 9 keyboard would be wort $500 to $600?
I spent over $149 on a mouse. $500 for a R.A.T 9 keyboard easily souds like it would be more that fair. Can I pre Pay for that please?

claydough United States | Reply

5/12/2012 11:35:03 PM #

Thanks for taking the time to make my life easier haha happy hunting. Extremely excited for D3

Beastxjason United States | Reply

5/18/2012 9:41:25 PM #

downloading now...
Arghhh! rogerklado@hotmail / claydough if any fellow RAT addicts wanna add me when it's done!

claydough | Reply

5/22/2012 11:02:01 AM #

Unrelated to this blog, but can't seem to find anywhere else to ask about this and google doesn't help at all:

Why does my RAT 9 programming lack "new advanced command" and latched key options? Is this and intended downgrade on an upgraded version of the mouse or am I just missing something?

Ozus Latvia | Reply

5/22/2012 11:07:10 AM #

They're definitely there - click the little arrow at the top right of the button cell and you'll see all the options that you can choose when programming the buttons, one of which is New Advanced Command and another of which is Latched.

5/27/2012 11:44:32 AM #

when is the f.r.e.q 5 headset coming to Europe?

marcus Denmark | Reply

6/5/2012 3:02:50 PM #

Hi,

I've been trying to get some combos to string together using the macro along with quantize time but I can't seem to get it working. Is there any tutorial on using the macro to string a keystrokes together with the quantize time thrown in?

Nick Australia | Reply

6/7/2012 6:03:27 PM #

Quantize time just sets the delay between keystrokes to the value you choose when you Quantize it.  What exactly is it that you're trying to do?

6/10/2012 12:16:13 AM #

I've created software for the M.M.O. 7 Mouse and Keyboard v7 that automatically swaps profiles when a set process is detected. It really makes the whole experience much smoother for the mouse. Is anyone interested in it? I really just have no idea where to post it or tell people about it. I would really like to share it with other owners! If anyone has any ideas of where I can go to do so or is interested in it please contact me at cyborgautoprofiler@gmail.com I really would like to get my work out there.

Danny Hasley United States | Reply

6/12/2012 6:23:43 PM #

I posted some feedback on your thread found on Tom's Hardware.

However, I really look forward to Saitek someday implementing such function into their software!

Painstouch Slovenia | Reply

6/27/2012 8:41:51 AM #

LINK?

very interested in program sensitive presets for my R.A.T 9!
But will it work if I do not use v5 or v7 keyboards? ( is the smart technology software enough? )

I have a v5 but would prefer the added mouse real estate the sidewinder x6 affords?

Is there a link with m ore details?
sounds very exciting! ( I love community solutions like this. Particularly from the multi monitor community at the wsgf forums. Sometimes the industries need to let such solutions work without breaking them with interference and just say "thank you" )
rogerklado@hotmail.com

Claydough United States | Reply

6/25/2012 5:00:00 AM #

ARE U GUYS GOING 2 COME OUT WITH OTHER COLORS OF THE M.M.O. 7, I WANT 2 BUY 1 BUT, THE COLOR SKEAM DOSENT GO WELL WITH MY 27INCH I MAC SET UP WIT  MULTI SCREANS... ???

K1LLASWAGG United States | Reply

6/26/2012 7:04:14 PM #

I agree with the mechanical keyboard comments. Cyborg already has awesome mice (I'm the proud owner of a R.A.T. 7) and has the very feature-rich F.R.E.Q. 5 planned for release (which I'm impatiently waiting for). I don't feel the current crop of Cyborg keyboards measures up with them. The metal keys seem nice, but that's about it. The third part of the holy triumvirate of PC gaming needs to be complete!

A mechanical keyboard would solve that. I wonder how all metal keys with clear lettering (to allow backlights) would go with that rubber used on the R.A.T.? But then again, I don't think the rubber takes isopropyl alcohol cleaning well. Either way, any new keyboard should be feature-packed like your other products. The choice of Cherry MX switch would be a difficult one as it's a matter of preference. Each has their fans (Red, Black, Blue, Brown, and even the currently rare Clear). Maybe have the keyboards come in different versions (no-frills V.1 and V.5 vs. macro-button loaded V.7) as well as different switches? Just don't be like Corsair who put out two mechanical keyboards with very some nice features but decided not to make them fully mechanical.

Shuang Jian United States | Reply

8/23/2012 1:35:39 AM #

Pulsed Magnetic Therapy is changing medicine - Get your FREE report now, and say goodbye to chronic pain. http://www.biolifetherapysystem.com

electromagnetic therapy United States | Reply

10/11/2012 11:52:23 PM #

Yeah, the RAT 7 MMO looks nice, but even though you finally have a profile for D3 unless you make a way to turn off the two orange-metal buttons in the center of the main two top buttons it doesn't work. Every time I try to use it, I'm constantly clicking those 2 buttons with the lower part of my fingers near the first knuckle, kicking it into mode 2 or 3 and inevitably, before I can correct it, I'm dead. A level 60 Barb in Inferno doesn't have seconds to correct the mouse, you're dead! It costs lots of gold to resurrect yourself again and pay the repairs due to your being killed. FIX IT!

Gregory Johnson United States | Reply