4. July 2011 16:39

Precision Aim Day

by richard

The more eagle-eyed amongst you (or at least those of you with access to a Mac as well as a PC) will have noticed that Mac users are able to program their precision aim buttons. “We’ve been asking for that for a while,” we can hear some of our longer-term Windows users say, “When can we have a piece of that action?”

Well, our dear readers, today is the day. We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore.

We will be united in our common interests.

Perhaps its fate that today is the 4th of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom, not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution -- but to capture that control point!

We're fighting for our right to program; to nail that headshot and clinch the match

And should we win the day, the 4th of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day when the world declared in one voice:

"We will not go quietly into the night!

We will not vanish without a fight!

We're going to live on!

We're going to survive!"

Today, we celebrate our Precision Aim Day!

Sorry, I got a bit carried away there. *ahem* So, erm, yes. Just go and download the latest drivers and software from our website (which now includes version numbers in the names) and you can now program that extra button!

Oh, and Happy Independence Day to our American cousins!

Downloads | News

Comments

7/4/2011 9:49:59 PM #

Finally Smile

Vince South Africa | Reply

7/5/2011 10:33:33 AM #

I hate to interrupt the Precision Aim Day festivities, but I've got a problem.

I'm using Windows XP 32 bit, and today I upgraded the Smart Technology software from version 7.0.2.7 to 7.0.10.6.  Using the latest program, the profile editor freezes on the Smart Technology splash screen.

I followed the advice in the tech support section on this site, and installed the Microsoft .net Framework 4 Client Profile from Windows Update, but this didn't fix the issue.

I reinstalled version 7.0.2.7, which is working fine.  Any suggestions on how I could get the latest Smart Technology running?

Diluted New Zealand | Reply

7/6/2011 12:52:58 PM #

Any suggestions on how I could get the latest Smart Technology running?
Have you completely uninstall older ST version before update?
Deleted any folders left in "C:\Programs"?
Have you clean windows registry from old ST entries?
Maybe that's the problem...

Now, about the "Precision Aim" new feature: AWESOME!
My RAT Mouse just gained a brand new button in games where "Precision Aim" button isn't used!
Thank you soooo much, Saitek!

Johnny

Johnny Rook Portugal | Reply

7/6/2011 5:51:59 PM #

The issue was caused by the new link to the blog on the main page of the software.  The server the blog was hosted on was crashing so the software couldn't load that information and wouldn't go any further.  It's working fine now though.

7/7/2011 5:35:16 AM #

Yes, working perfectly now.  Thanks Smile

Diluted New Zealand | Reply

7/7/2011 10:04:57 PM #

I have a mac, and none of the macros work for me.. using a RAT 3 and 10.6.4, and the mouse fails to function :/. I am using the latest drivers, and have to use USB overdrive to get around the non functioning mouse Frown

HarryLavender United Kingdom | Reply

7/11/2011 10:34:27 AM #

As noted on the download page, you need 10.6.6 as a minimum - get all of the updates from Apple and that should put you on the latest version which should get it working.

7/11/2011 1:58:46 PM #

I love the new update!... Please make the left and right clicks programmable as i would like to bind the shift key to to right click as then i dont need to hold the shiftkey anymore.

making the left and right click programmable will make the RAT the BEST mouse of all time. lol

Nahsaar United Kingdom | Reply

7/23/2011 7:21:58 AM #

I would love to see all the buttons, including the DPI rocker switch  programmable.  I could do so much with the rocker.  I found once I've found a dpi setting that I like I stick with it so I've never used it.  It's a shame to let it go to waste like that.

Indeed, the RAT is very close to being the best mouse of all time.

fnk United Kingdom | Reply

8/4/2011 10:31:30 AM #

I was wondering if you could add a better way to scroll sideways with that thumbwheel, instead of just having it press left and right arrow key. So it could use the horizontal scrolling settings in the win7 control panel mouse settings. That'd be much appriceated Smile

Aksel Sweden | Reply

10/14/2011 9:48:07 PM #

I have a RAT 5 and the Precision Aim programming doesn't work...
Download the lasted drivers and softwares yesterday.

I program the Precision Aim to hit a button, but it continues to work as the Precision Aim, not the button :/

Kogy Black Brazil | Reply

10/17/2011 12:03:36 PM #

Please confirm the driver and software version listed in the software interface.

11/3/2011 4:14:32 AM #

I can't seem to figure out a way to program the precision button to work as the precision button, but also to hit the SHIFT key when pressed and held. Can anyone help me out? Thanks

Jay United States | Reply

11/3/2011 11:35:14 AM #

The precision aim function and the programming of the precision aim button are completely separate - it will always perform the precision aim function as long as the drivers are installed.  The make it also perform the shift key, just go to the programming screen and program the precision aim button in there with the shift key, as per the instructions under the Support section of the software.

If you're having trouble with getting this to work then try programming the other buttons and let us know how that goes.

2/14/2012 7:54:39 AM #

Hey, I just bought a rat5 a week ago, on my xps runs win7 64bit. I have installed latest software, and driver but the precision aim button doesn't work. Why?

Peter Hungary | Reply

2/14/2012 2:48:09 PM #

What were the filenames of the driver and software that you installed?  Do you have the 4000 DPI or 5600 DPI version of the R.A.T.5?  Does the precision aim button do nothing when you hold it, even if you set the precision aim setting to full (which actually stops the cursor from moving at all whilst it's held)?

2/14/2012 4:14:47 PM #

First of all thank you for your quick answer, actually i could solve the problem so now everything is fine .

Peter Hungary | Reply

2/15/2012 8:20:22 AM #

Yeah, i'm having that problem, with a new RAT 9, I cannot get the precision aim to work.... i can set it to another action but even when set to full, nothing happens.

Brock United States | Reply

2/15/2012 10:43:16 AM #

Reinstall the drivers and the programming software and see if that solves it.

3/1/2012 9:50:22 PM #

I have a Mac and i had just recently bought my R.A.T.5 mouse, it said the precision aim button slows down the DPI by the percentage you set it at (my DPI I use mostly is 2000 and percentage is 70%) but it doesn't seem to slow down the DPI at all.

United States | Reply

3/2/2012 10:37:09 AM #

It doesn't affect the DPI, just the sensitivity and only whilst you hold it down.  If it doesn't seem to be working then try reinstalling the latest Mac drivers from the download page.

3/7/2012 6:26:56 AM #

I was wondering if the MMO7 will come in different (aka: better  =P) color schemes?  As much as I like the design, the one thing that is keeping me from dishing out the cash for it is the Halloween color scheme.  Can we expect to see Contagion MMO7's or standard colors in the future?  Cheers.

Mike United States | Reply

3/7/2012 10:38:04 AM #

The current colour scheme is the standard one for the M.M.O.7.  If we decide to create a Contagion version then we'll let everyone know here on the blog!

5/17/2012 1:43:38 AM #

So glad the button can be reprogrammed now - didn't know this had been patched since all the reviews. That said, there's a feature I can't seem to find:

I want the precision aim button to ALSO press a key. The simple reason: I want it to zoom in at the same time, rather than going through the scope in -> hold precision aim -> fire, I can take out all of the start of that procedure, and I can continue to use my alternate mouse button as a regular zoom. This is also absolutely vital as far as I can see for games like BF3 where the developers (in their infinite ignorance) have failed to give an option to toggle the zoom.

I can't see why this wouldn't be possible in the advanced programming stuff the buttons are capable of, but I can't seem to find a way to input the 'Fallback' thing as a 'keypress' to make this possible. Am I missing something, or is the software? ;)

Gethen United Kingdom | Reply

5/17/2012 10:16:33 AM #

As long as you've got the latest version of the software then you should have the extra entry in there for the for precision aim button in order to program it, in which case just program it with the right mouse button in order for it to activate the scope when you press it.

You don't need to worry about anything else because the precision aim function still works even when you've got the button programmed with a function.

6/9/2012 9:40:07 PM #

I programmed the precision aim button for tab closing (ctrl+W), but it also acts as precision aim, which is veery annoying. Of course I can lower the settings to 0% DPI drop in the precision aim settings.. But I also happen to use it in games, and unfortunately DPI settings aren't tied to profiles.
Driver version: 7.0.12.0