4. January 2011 12:40

Product Highlight - Cyborg Command Unit

by Marc

With all of the attention on the R.A.T. at the moment we thought it was worth highlighting some of the other products in the range.  First up, the Cyborg Command Unit: a perennial favourite, especially to those poor souls with very little desk space.  You know the desks we mean – the ones with keyboard trays that have just enough room for a keyboard but no room for a mouse next to them.  You end up either:

1. Moving your keyboard so that it’s hanging over the edge, just at the tipping point (never a good thing anyway, especially as you’re probably using the WASD keys if you’re right-handed or the cursors if you’re left-handed, which only increases the leverage and therefore the likelihood of the keyboard tipping) so that you can get as much space to use your mouse in as possible.
  2. Leaving the keyboard where it is and then using the mouse on the shelf where the monitor sits.  This usually involves some form of bodily contortion and leaning forwards so that, after a long gaming session, is the kind of thing that keeps many chiropractors in business.
  3. Putting the keyboard on your lap and using the mouse on the keyboard shelf.  However, your lap is never the most stable of surfaces, especially in the heat of battle, so the level of bodily contortion required to keep things steady leaves us with much the same result as point 2).

The solution?  A smaller unit that has all of the keys that you’ll need in one handy, comfortable unit, leaving you enough room to sit comfortably on the same surface as your mouse.  It’s backlit for those late-night, lights-off gaming sessions that we all love and is fully programmable with our powerful ST software.  It’s available right now for £29.99 on our UK store and for €44.99 on our German online stores, so snap one up whilst they’re still going.

News | Offers

Comments

1/15/2011 8:50:28 AM #

I can not find the software for the saitek cyborg command unit keys.
Pls can you send me an e-mail with the update?

Panos Tsigos Greece | Reply

1/19/2011 10:43:59 AM #

Software and drivers are on the downloads page, accessed by clicking the Downloads link at the top of this site.  The Cyborg Command Pad is in the list of products.

1/31/2011 5:35:53 AM #

I have been using one of these for the last two years, playing a lot of Warhammer online, and the occasional FPS. This is seriously the top accessory that I am using, and would be sad to see it go. I'm about to replace mine, and it is unfortunate that the only place I can find it in the US is on eBay.

So please please PLEASE don't take this item out of Saitek's lineup, unless you are going to replace it with something even better. There are competitor products that were higher rated, but nothing with the number of buttons as the Cyborg Command Unit.

Sean United States | Reply

2/1/2011 4:38:05 PM #

Well this is quite simple the best gadget device that I have. I've tested Nostromo N52 and Logitech G13. The first is just not in the same league and difficult to program. Logitech is too wide with 7 keys in first two lines. I'm using it in my everyday professional work (CAD) and I love palm shift key. This is ergonomics at its best!
Discontinue such a product is a pitty! I have to buy another one as soon as possible!

Lui Slovenia | Reply

2/7/2011 5:39:21 AM #

I was looking to get a Logitech G13 but found the Saitek CCU on sale for $25 so I snatched it up and love it. The only thing that I have problem I have is trying to find some pre-made profiles for it. I think Saitek dropped the ball by not providing any for the more popular games for those that want to just plug it in and go.

Dale United States | Reply

6/16/2011 9:20:04 PM #

Cannot get this anymore and am so sad i did not buy it when i bought the mouse and keyboard. When/are you coming out with a new model?

Anthony United States | Reply

11/12/2011 1:40:10 PM #

i own cyber snipa + cyborg rat 7

sanzagero Spain | Reply

1/19/2012 4:02:54 PM #

I found your weblog site on google and examine a number of of your early posts. Proceed to maintain up the superb operate. I simply additional up your RSS feed to my MSN News Reader. In search of ahead to studying more from you afterward!… Miss PC games

PC games United States | Reply

1/28/2012 8:56:17 AM #

It is great! why no new model?

Evgeny Russia | Reply

3/12/2012 9:39:34 PM #

I own a saitek pro gamer command unit (purchased 4-5 years ago), a cyborg command unit (purchased 2 years ago), a razer Nostromo (purchased a month ago) and a Logitech G13 (purchased 2 years ago).

None has been able replace the original command unit, for the placement of the keys and the sensitivity of the pad.

I'll buy one second cyborg, because my saitek just died a few days ago. I can't imagine playing without it

Excellent desing and sorry to see it discontinued

José Spain | Reply

7/26/2012 2:01:43 PM #

I totally agree with Jose... the Cyborg Command Pad has vastly better button placement than either the weirdly shaped Nostromo (who the hell has hands that shape?) or the absurdly huge G13.  It is baffling to me that the Cyborg command unit was discontinued.

Evilhippo United Kingdom | Reply