24. September 2010 17:37

What are you currently playing?...

by richard

… is a question we’ve been asked a lot when we’ve been at trade shows over the Summer, in addition to, “When is the R.A.T.9 out?”, “Do you have a left-handed version?” and “What about Mac support?”  Followers of our comments threads will know that the answers to those questions are; soon, not at the moment and we’re working on it.

The answer to the game question though is very easy – Valve’s modern multiplayer classic, Left 4 Dead 2.  Its many positives were all nicely summed up by Jason at Gameshark last year but this has a fair number of us in the office glued to our monitors every lunchtime (and evenings too).  Its genius is in two things: firstly that even though there are only a few campaigns to play through, each and every time you play will be different thanks to the A.I. Director that monitors how you’re playing.  If you’re playing well, it will pour hordes of infected onto you as if it was raining zombies; play badly and it will lay off for a bit to give you a chance to recover.  Secondly, never has a game encouraged cooperation to this extent.  There truly is no place for lone wolves here – go off on your own and you’ll just get pounced by a Hunter, strung up by a Smoker or pounded by a Charger.  It’s also the first game ever where I’ve actually been happy to give away my health pack to make sure someone can make it to the end of the level – definitely an achievement in itself.

Add in the Survival, Scavenge and Versus modes (the latter two effectively being a ‘legalised’ form of griefing, as four of you get to play as the special infected and team up on four of your friends to really ruin their day – great fun) and it’s truly the game that keeps on giving.

Much in that same ‘giving’ vein, Valve continue to keep adding to the game, with an extra chapter being released in the Summer and another due to arrive in the next couple of weeks.  As part of the build up to that release they’re serialising an online comic detailing the events that lead up this new chapter.  It’s an excellent read – parts one and two are up now, with the remaining two to be published in the run up to the release of the new chapter.

So if you’ve never given it a try then head on over to Steam to get hold of it (assuming you’re over 18 – hey, we’ve got to be responsible and point out that it’s a mature-rated game).  Let us know what you think in the comments thread and also which games are currently hogging your time.

News | Reviews

Comments

9/29/2010 10:47:38 PM #

Killing Floor completely replaced L4D for me, I love my ironsights.

Also really looking forward to taking my RAT into Red Orchestra, I anticipate that precision aim button being incredibly useful.

Junior United Kingdom | Reply

10/7/2010 12:30:43 AM #

Well, currently waiting for R.A.T. 9 to be available.

Wish to say the same about yours gaming Keyboards, unfortunately they lack the layout for my country, so have to look else where.....

José Fernandes Portugal | Reply

10/10/2010 5:03:01 AM #

I emailed support hoping for something better than "soon" for the R.A.T. 9. I was told to watch the blog during the month of October, but now newegg and gamestop have moved their release dates to january 2011, and amazon doesn't even give a date anymore.

Guess It's time to move on, I could probably find another nice wireless gaming mouse if I tried, maybe even one that exists.

Vilbag United States | Reply

10/21/2010 10:28:16 PM #

I agree with you.  Ten months is too long to wait for a mouse (March '10 to January '11)  Logitech has some decent gaming mice available.  I must say, I'm terribly disappointed with this failure of a mouse release.

Brandon H United States | Reply

10/22/2010 10:59:42 AM #

As I've said elsewhere we probably announced it too early - we'll hold our hand up to that, no problem.  But the R.A.T.9 is not as massively late as you think it is - at the moment we're a little bit behind where we expected to be but not by much.  In fact the Typhoon off the coast of China has prevented us from having an announcement this week...

10/25/2010 9:19:42 AM #

Well, if it is going to be actually January '11 I would like to know because my previous mouse already died and I need one now or very soon at least

WiNG Spain | Reply

10/11/2010 11:11:18 AM #

Retailer-published release dates are not 100% reliable.  Like I said in the email, keep an eye here on the blog...

10/18/2010 1:08:09 PM #

Oh well, hope its good news when we get them, really. Been waiting for the R.A.T. 9 for long now and it does not look like it will be available till November already. It was supossedly going to be a birthday present for me but seems its going to be more like a christmas one...

WiNG Spain | Reply

10/18/2010 6:05:21 PM #

teh rat 9 looks like a real beaut!
question is, will my intellimouse die before the 9 is released? (its on its way out Frown)
may have to settle for the rat 7 but am more than willing to pay the extra for wireless seeing as its nextgen tech etc (and ofc sjus plain cool)

Smile

Alex United Kingdom | Reply

11/3/2010 11:16:01 PM #

Finally started shipping R.A.T. 9.

Can you tell me when will it be available in UK, since I've order it from Amazon UK ? Wink

José Fernandes Portugal | Reply

11/4/2010 4:44:05 PM #

They should be hitting the UK during December.

11/5/2010 1:08:04 PM #

Will it be available in New York city? In what store?

I have a friend of mine travelling to NY, and I will order it from him if it's available there.

José Fernandes Portugal | Reply

11/5/2010 4:38:39 PM #

Bricks and mortar retailers probably won't have the R.A.T.9 until next year now - it'll be online-only for all of the first quantities that are shipped.

1/27/2011 9:53:06 PM #

When can we expect your products being Mac ready?

Stanley United States | Reply

5/24/2011 3:17:57 PM #

L4D2 4 U

L4D2 4 U

Cyborg Gaming | Reply

8/14/2012 2:01:51 AM #

Any plans on a "left handed model"? Nice product but is totally useless to me if it is not for a left handed person.

Eric G United States | Reply