4. June 2010 16:14

So what is Mouse Acceleration?

by Marc

Acceleration is something that a lot of gamers aren't even aware of and they need to be because it can result in inconsistent behaviour with their mouse. Put simply, acceleration increases the speed of your mouse cursor based on the speed you move your mouse. This might sound like a good idea but it causes problems - if you move your mouse from point A to point B then you'd expect your cursor to do the same thing each time you move the mouse between those two points; with acceleration enabled it won't because you'll vary the speed that you move the mouse between those two points and end up with inconsistent aiming.

To combat this we've created a simple utility that you just need to run once and this will change various settings in your Windows registry to remove acceleration completely. Download it here:

One other thing that you need to do is to disable something that Microsoft calls 'Enhance Pointer Precision'. Open the Mouse icon in your Windows Control Panel, click the Pointer Options tab at the top and then uncheck that box

Downloads | Tips and Tricks

Comments

1/21/2011 1:55:14 AM #

Hello,

I have a question about the mouse acceleration utility.
Will the changes to the registry still be active after i delete the utility ?
btw. The mouse R.A.T. 7 is awsome !!!!

mudantos Croatia | Reply

2/3/2011 2:50:26 AM #

I have always used acceleration on my mice for gaming. I love it personally. I have never had an issue with it. It does exactly what it was meant to do. If you are using multiple monitors or extremely high resolution just increasing the speed of your mouse does not work very well. It gives you very poor control when you want minute movements. Pointer acceleration corrects that by making the mouse move slower for smaller movements while increasing the movement speed for longer/faster movements. In 20 years I have never had it adversely affect my gaming.

Mergatroid Canada | Reply

2/25/2011 4:06:10 PM #

am sorry Mergatroid but most pro gamers instantly remove acceleration from there mouse as it does effect movement FACT. in games like quake live fast paced it is esentital for the mouse to have acceleration off maybe you just been playing the wrong games for 20 years something like wow

ste United Kingdom | Reply

10/4/2011 2:19:59 PM #

Well to be honest i found this page because i was trying to find out why i had no acceleration on my rat 9 , seems horrible without it. I play very low sensitivity in fpshooters and the acceleration allows me to still turn fast if i need to but have great aiming still, without it i am sometimes lifting the mouse and i have the biggest mouse mat you can buy :p. Also not being funny, but how many pro gamers do you know to ask such things, not to say that what one person uses is good for the next.

mick United Kingdom | Reply

10/5/2011 12:23:42 PM #

A simple Google search will show you just how many people want to remove acceleration from their mouse.  It really isn't something that pros like to have present because it removes predictability from their mouse movements.  They like to know that a given distance of mouse movement will always result in the same turn distance in-game, regardless of how fast they move their mouse; when acceleration is present that just isn't possible.

That same Google search will show you that there are people like yourself who like acceleration but they're definitely in a minority.  There are some games that feature an acceleration option in the control settings which you can select, but in the main the lack of this in most titles tells you what the weight of opinion is on acceleration!

3/28/2011 3:03:56 PM #

I am confused though. You are giving software to remove acceleration but the RAT7 has 50g acceleration built in? Please explain Smile

Clix United Kingdom | Reply

3/29/2011 11:41:04 AM #

No, the 50G acceleration figure refers to the fact that the sensor can still track when you apply 50G of acceleration to the mouse when you move it.

11/1/2011 3:45:57 PM #

Pingback from alirazashaikh.allergiesaid.com

Mouse acceleration | Alirazashaikh

alirazashaikh.allergiesaid.com | Reply

1/12/2012 5:08:59 PM #

Hi.

I bought a RAT5 about two months ago. Unlike most of you I didn't buy it for gaming. I bought it for it's programmable button modes and "sniper button". I find these very useful with programs like Photshop.

I was also dissapointed that I had no control over the acceleration factor of the mouse movement. I thought that the mouse software would have some kind of controls to adjust the acceleration. I was suprised that it didn't. Almost all mouses I've used in the past have let me adjust acceleration from their software. With a big 2560x1440 screen the acceleration and it's adjustment is very important.

I get that this is a gaming mouse, but still why not keep the doors open for various kind of users with various needs. Would it be so hard to but acceleration control to the software? Controls like: Off, On and Adjustment(slider). You get to do so many cool stuff with this mouse, it's a shame it fails to provide controls for something as basic as acceleration.

Joonas Finland | Reply

1/3/2013 3:21:49 PM #

Hi Joonas,

I have exactly the same problem. I bought the mouse, not for gaming, but because it is the only mouse I could find with a sideways scroll wheel. I am using it on mac to replace the apple mighty mouse with its tiny scroll ball that breaks way too easily.

Problem is, the acceleration curve is very different from what I am used to with the mighty mouse. It slows down way too much when moving the mouse slowly. I'd expect with a gaming mouse that this would be adjustable, but this doesn't seem to be the case..

I truly hope that the RAT mouse developers can add this option to the configuration utility, I'm currently unable to use my new mouse without getting RSI within a few hours.

Best,
Mattijs

Mattijs Netherlands | Reply

1/3/2013 4:22:38 PM #

Hi,

Have you tried the Mouse Accleration Preference Pane?

triq.net/.../mouse-acceleration-preference-pane-mac-os-x

2/17/2012 5:29:18 AM #

Pingback from mrbbab2000.shikshik.org

Pointer acceleration | Mrbbab2000

mrbbab2000.shikshik.org | Reply

2/24/2012 5:52:31 AM #

I'm disappointed with the fact that it doesn't come with mouse acceleration options, sure alot of gamers either don;t know about it or should need it, but those who know about that function and like it should have the option to have it. Its a gaming mouse and you shouldn't have options only tailored for MOST gamers. At least have the option there and default it to off, so those who want it can turn it on. Wasn;t it the whole point of this mouse to have options and functions free for us to adjust as we like to.

Lewis Singapore | Reply